Romantic Spirit, The
- A fourteen-part documentary television series made in 1983 about the history of the Romantic movement in art,music and literature on 7 DVDs. Individual programmes are:
BATTLE OF T HE STAGE- Plays of Schiller and Kleist depict the Romantic philosophy of the hero as a renegade; BLOOD, SEA AND SAND - The paintings of Delacroix, Turner and Goya illustrate Romanticism in nature; THE GOLDEN AGE - Works by Blake and Keats illustrate the Romantic yearning for a return to a free and peaceful ‘Golden Age.'; MUSIC OF THE SOUL - The music of Beethoven and Schubert expresses the deeper emotions; NIGHT - Dreams influence the Romantic artists; PARADISE LOST - Poems by Wordsworth and Goethe and paintings by Talmidge illustrate the theme of wild, pure nature as freedom; THE ROMANTIC EXPLOSION - Anthony Andrews profiles writers and painters of the 18th- and 19th-century Romantic Movement.; THE ROMANTIC HERITAGE - Romanticism of the 19th century influences the 20th; ROMANTIC HERO - The ideals of poets Byron and Chateaubriand reflect the Romantic concept of poet as hero; ROMANTIC JOURNEY - An examination of Goethe’s ‘Faust,' including readings, illustrates the Romantic view of life as a voyage of discovery; THE ROMANTIC WOMAN - Mary Shelley, author of ‘Frankenstein,' participates in the Romantic movement; THE TRIUMPH OF DEATH - The ‘art’ of death influences Romantic writers; THE TRIUMPH OF ROMANTICISM - The Romantic movement in Paris pits intellectuals against aristocracy; VICTOR HUGO AND THE ROMANTIC CENTURY - Poet, novelist and playwright Victor Hugo personifies the Romantic era.
- Great Britain
- Year of release
- Year of production
- Arts and Humanities; Literature; Music
- history of art; music - romantic; Romantic movement; literature - 19th century
- Region 0 NTSC
- 420 minutes
- http://www.mediaoutlet.com/ External site opens in new window
- PO Box 1432
- Specialises in US archival moving image and sound material, particularly vintage radio and public service films and broadcasts that have been digitally restored. Formerly known as Earthstation.com. Sale on multi-region DVD or CD.
This record has been viewed 463 times.