Tragedy of King Richard II, The
- Alternative title
- Richard II
- Television presentation of the Prospect Theatre Company’s production of the play. A thoughtful and successful attempt to transfer a popular stage production to the televison screen. Ian McKellen gives a highly sensitive and exciting performance as Richard. This is the first televised production of McKellen in a Shakespeare play.
- Great Britain
- Technical information
- Colour / Sound
- Transmission details
- 30 Jul 1970 at 21:00 (Channel: BBC2)
- 125 mins
- Toby Robertson
- Mark Shivas
- William Shakespeare
- Benjamin Pierce Higgins
- Juanita Waterson; Tim Goodchild
- Art Direction
- Tony Abbott
- Theatre company
- Prospect Theatre Company
- Production type
- Stage Recordings
- Richard II
- Shakespeare, William (1564-1616); Edinburgh Festival
- The BBC Audience Research Viewing Panel Report noted a production that was ‘gripping, entertaining, moving and believable’.
- The Prospect Theatre Company performed the play for the 1969 Edinburgh Festival. before a countrywide tour, accompaning the controversial production of Marlowe’s Edward II, which was broadcast the following week (6 August 1970) . McKellen played Edward. The stage production of Richard II was directed by Richard Cottrell. Television director, Toby Robertson, was closely involved with the stage productions of both Richard II and Edward II.
- The play was watched by 5.8% of the BBC2 audience.
- The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
- http://www.bfi.org.uk/archive-collections/searching-access-collections/research-viewing-services External site opens in new window
- 020 7255 1444
- 020 7436 0165
- 21 Stephen Street
This record has been viewed 987 times.