Comedy of Errors, The
- A televised ‘operatic’ production of the play by Lionel Harris with music composed by Julian Slade and James Turner.
- Great Britain
- Transmission details
- 16 May 1954 at 21:02 (Channel: BBC)
- 84 mins
- Lionel Harris
- William Shakespeare
- James Turner; Julian Slade
- Art Direction
- James Bould
- Eric Robinson; Robert McNab
- In the manner of an operetta, scenes of dialogue in this production of the play were alternated with songs. According to The Times reviewer, "The imagination in this production lay rather in the original conception than in the performance".
The Birmingham Shakespeare Library holds a typescript.
- Production cost: £1.943 (BBC Play Library)
- The production was transmitted again 20 May 1954.
- "'The Comedy of Errors’ as an Operetta: Television Performances," The Times 18 May 1954, p.10
This record has been viewed 382 times.