Contents of this issue:
EUscreen is a major pan-European multimedia initiative now at the heart of Europeana, the European digital library. Dr Sian Barber, Royal Holloway, University of London, looks at the development of the project’s first Comparative Virtual Exhibitions
A new resource for teaching film genre has been developed in close collaboration with teachers and students. Alice Crystal provides a behind-the-scenes look at the making of this multi-media tool and Johnny Walker reviews the finished DVD.
CHRONICLE: BBC NEWS NORTHERN IRELAND
Dr Martin Doherty, University of Westminster, looks at Chronicle: BBC Northern Ireland’s television news from the 60s and 70s, a new academic resource that brings together thousands of titles for the first time.
LEARNING FROM THE PAST
The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) celebrates its centenary this year. Lucy Brett looks at its past, present and future while Brian Hoyle reviews the new DVD release of Ken Russell’s controversial 1971 film THE DEVILS.
CAN I COPY THIS?
Murray Weston previews this new BUFVC publication due out later in June, a brief guide to a big subject: copyright in UK Higher and Further Education.
- Dr Russ Hunter: Cinema Italiano by Howard Hughes – click here to read review
- Dr Birgit Beumers: Russian Film Posters 1900-1930
- Dr Alexander Beaumont: ENGLISH & IRISH AUTHORS (CD) – click here to read review
- Lucy Bolton: 100 Ideas that Changed Film by David Parkinson – click here to read review
- Dr Katherine Isobel Baxter: OUTCAST OF THE ISLANDS (DVD)
- Dr Felicity J. Colman: A History of Experimental Film & Video by AL Rees – click here to read review
To access Viewfinder Online, visit: http://bufvc.ac.uk/viewfinder
Front Cover: Two British soldiers stand in front of a ruin (1969) in Martin Doherty’s article on the BBC TV Northern Ireland Project (Image: © BBC)