Complementary Childcare: Dyslexia and Dyspraxia
- Alternative title
- Complementary Kids: Dyslexia and Dyspraxia
- A series originally shown on the Discovery Health Channel seeking to promote a greater understanding of the use of complementary therapies in treating a range of illnesses in children. Each programme deals with a specific illness and health practitioners, all belonging to recognised medical associations, are shown working with the case studies.
The series promotes the idea of helping children to strengthen their immune system at an early age for a healthy later life.
Case studies featured are 1) a 12-year-old who was diagnosed as having dyspraxia when he was 8. He had problems getting his thoughts down on paper, his handwriting was illegible and he was always last at everything in sports, resulting in very low self-esteem and self-confidence. After two years of Neuro Developmental Therapy and The Listening Programme (a gentle form of sound therapy) his school work has improved, along with his general co-ordination, confidence and ability to cope with life. 2) A 10-year-old boy with dyslexia and dyspraxia who has problems sequencing, hearing phonic sounds, reading and writing that have led to frustration and low self-esteem. He was treated using Lightwave Therapy and Auditory Integration Therapy (an intense form of sound therapy) that has improved his reading and his self-esteem. 3) A 9-year-old girl who has problems with reading and getting things on to paper that have made her very disruptive in class. She has undertaken a Brain Gym exercise programme that has improved her general behaviour, reading and writing, along with her ability to concentrate.With Jessica Lough (Neuro Developmental Therapist and Listening Programme practitioner), Pauline Allen (Lightwave and AIT therapist), and Gillian Hindshaw (Brain Gym practitioner).
- Complementary Childcare, Series
- Great Britain
- Year of release
- Year of production
- Programme first broadcast on Discovery Health Channel 19/9/02. Also available on DVD combined with AUTISM and BEHAVIOURAL PROBLEMS
- Aimed at parents who feel that traditional health care methods have failed, or not helped their children sufficiently.
- Education; Medical sciences; Psychology
- child health; complementary medicine; dyslexia; dyspraxia; educational psychology; Chinese medicine; lightwave therapy; auditory integration therapy; neuro developental therapy; Listening Programme, The; Brain Gym, The
- Region 2 PAL
- 90 minutes
- 30 minutes
- http://www.b-lineproductions.co.uk External site opens in new window
- 020 8444 9574
- 020 8365 3664
- 135 Sydney Road
London N10 2ND
- Gary Peat
- http://www.qleap.co.uk External site opens in new window
- 01480 450006
- 01480 456686
- 1A Great Northern Street
- Distributor and online retailer specialising in non-fiction DVD titles on a wide variety of subjects, particularly in the areas of music instruction, music performance, sport instruction, and health. Titles also available through retail outlets.
Available from retail outlets
This record has been viewed 629 times.